Ka-25 Hormone soviet anti-submarine helicopter
The Kamov Ka-25 was a Soviet naval, anti-submarine helicopter produced for ex. Soviet Navy from 1965 to 1977. It was developed before Kamov Ka-27. Its Cold War task was to detect NATO submarines. It was designed by Kamov Design Bureau in 1958, and developed from Kamov Ka-20 (prototype helicopter). Ka-25 had the the first flight in 1963 and and was introduced into service in 1972. NATO reporting name for this helicopter was “Hormone”. It is still active in Vietnam People’s Air Force.
Ka-25 Armament and Equipment
Not normally armed the Ka-25 can carry bombs, depth charges or torpedoes. Only the Hormone-B has retractable landing gear which can be lifted out of the scanning beam of the nose radar. It is cluttered inside and does not give its crew room to stand. When used for anti-submarine warfare, the Ka-25 is readily identified by its chin-mounted radar, known in the West as “Big Bulge”. It also carries a dipping sonar which is lowered into the sea from the hover, as well as electro-optical and magnetic-anomaly sensors. This have become the standard hi-tech tool used to seek and pinpoint and undersea vessel deep in its lair.
Exoprt of Ka-25
The Kamov Ka-25 was exported India, Syria, Yugoslavia (ex) and Vietnam. When not used for anti-submarine work, the Ka-25 can accommodate up to dozen passengers, making it a useful utility transport and search-and-rescue machine.
The K-25 can fly on a single engine in an emergency. The three tailfins help give stable hovering while the helicopter dips it sonar system. The nose of the Ka-25 carries the “Odd Rods” identification system, and some variants of Ka-25 also have the “Yagi” for homing in on pilots distress beacons.
The Ka-25 variants:
1. Kamov Ka-25-TL was a missile tracking helicopter
2. Kamov Ka-25-T was a targeting relay aircraft. NATO reporting name for this version is Hormone-B
3. Kamov Ka-25-PS was a red and white painted transport helicopter
4. Kamov Ka-25-K was a civilian version of Ka-25
5. Kamov Ka-25-F was a proposed assault version of Ka-25
6. Kamov Ka-25-C was a weapon upgraded version of Kamov Ka-25Sh
7. Kamov Ka-25-BShZ was a mine-sweeping version
8. Kamov Ka-25-BSh was most produced version, it was anti-submarine helicopter.
Official Kamov website: www.kamov.ru/en/